Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I currently live in Houston. I am relocating to Kansas City…

Customer Question
I currently live in...

I currently live in Houston. I am relocating to Kansas City MO to marry and start a new career. I have 3 months left on my rental agreement. The monthly rent is $1220,The apartment management is requesting the total $3,360. Do I have a right of settlement?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Sorry... Had to step away

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Trails at Eldridge Parkway

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/17/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Landlord can legally hold tenant liable until end of lease or finds new tenant. Often can negotiate a one month termination fee. Another option is for you to sublet for balance of lease so landlord has no loss.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Tina, Lawyer