Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We want to get a SHORT TERM RENTAL LICENSE for our rental…

Customer Question
We want to get...

We want to get a SHORT TERM RENTAL LICENSE for our rental house next door (which presently has a regular rental license). Our son and his family live in the home. We were told we the only way we could do it is to add him to our deed (and the best way is to do a quit claim deed). That way, it would be his primary residence and we could get the short term rental license. I am happy to do that because we totally trust our son but I was wondering if there are any tax situations that may occur that I should consider before doing it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I prepared the quit claim deed and thought I should check with someone before filing it. I have also prepared the short term rental license paperwork.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Boulder, Co

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/16/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

adding him to the deed is reasonable, and i do not see a negative tax impact therefrom.