Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a house that i am intrested in the owner has

Customer Question
I have a house...

I have a house that i am intrested in the owner has abandoned the property and moved out of state I contacted the family and they stated he filed bankrupt and wants nothing to do with the property what can I do to legally obtain it as my own

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I tried to file a quick claim deed but he is not interested in even signing over the property

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Brooklyn New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The house has 2 violations that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/16/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You want to contact the bankruptcy trustee. If the house is being put up for sale, you may negotiate price. Keep in mind that if there is a mortgage on it, that will be taken care of first from proceeds including any other liens such as unpaid taxes and creditors.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”