Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son and his girl friend rented a apartment with her as…

Customer Question
My son and his...

My son and his girl friend rented a apartment with her as the tenant and they knew my son was living there my son paid a full year in advance. They have since got married and the new management on the apartment is now wanting my son to fill out a application and pay for it. The new management is totally disregarding the lease that was signed and is threating eviction. Can they do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oklahoma City

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The management does not give them 24 hours notice to do any maintenance they just show up. There was an issue with them being to loud and the cops were called. They were given a warning an 15 days to correct the issue and they have complied. Today they received another letter in reference to my son being there. The letter states it was sent certified and it was tack to their front door.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son was convicted and served time for a felon charge about 7 or 8 years ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/16/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he is married to the listed tenant, they cannot refuse to allow him to reside there, but they can insist legally he be on the lease. If they have a fee to add him to the lease, legally they can make him fill out the application to be added and pay the fee, because even though he paid the rent for his now wife, he did not insist he be put on the lease as well at that time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will his conviction of a felony keep them from being able to stay in their apartment.

Thank you for your reply.

It could cause them to deny him residency, as many apartment complexes have rules preventing felons from residing at the property.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even though they have known all along he has been there and nothing was said till noe. This seems like harassment on their part to me. The two of them have worked hard to get to where they are. What happens to the money that has brrm paid

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am sorry that even if they knew he was there previously they could refuse to allow him to reside there if he is a convicted felon and that is against their policy.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer