Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I let a friend move into my house a year and 3 months ago…

I let a friend...

I let a friend move into my house a year and 3 months ago with understanding temp.started asking her to move out 3 months ago she has drained me of my money and has made me motionaly unstable I don't know what to do to get her out

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the friend taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?

My sister has written a statement signed by them on when to move out but she still will not move out and has threatened my sister and says will not move out without a court order

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

New castle co

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is my sister and I am trying to help her because her mental status is not there right now and this squatter has called police on her for trying to get her out of the house

3/16/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Have you given the person any written notice to vacate?

.

Do they pay rent and if so are they late on the rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
has been asked to move out and worked up a agreement 4 times and signed by both and agreed on 450 a month and she has not payed any when my sister tried to get her out yesterday police involved and told my sister need court order
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I am trying toget info for my sister so she can move this forward to get her out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I myself do not have funds talk on phone so its on line
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if a problem I can keep searching for a answer

Just a minute, takes a little time to type an answer..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand

Ok, asking doesn't do anything legally... it has to be a written notice.. And in CO, a landlord can give a tenant a 7 day written notice to vacate if there is no written fixed term lease. So sister is the landlord and has to give the tenant a 7 day notice to vacate.

.

Then if she doesn't leave, sister can file a formal eviction case in the local courthouse to get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff will execute to force the person to leave the property. The clerks will have the summons and complaint forms that she needs to file if the person doesn't move out after the 7 day expires.

.

If she wants to scare the person, she can pay a sheriff to formally serve the 7 day on the tenant instead of just handing it to her.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has a written note signed by her and the person 4 times but not a legal doc. just written by my sister signed dated when to get out but person not moving

Ok, if the note gave the tenant at least 7 days to leave, then that would work and sister can then immediately file the eviction lawsuit in the local court..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its been over the last 4 months and yesterday was a written out by the 15th
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I only get the information sent

Not sure I understand what this means...""yesterday was a written out by the 15th""

.

Are you saying that she was given a written notice at least 7 days long that said she had to be out by yesterday the 15th?

Ok, then as long as she has a copy of that notice, she can go file the eviction case today in the local courthouse..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
signed by both parties dated and a third partie wittness

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long well she have to wait to get her out do you think I live here in Denver she is in New Castle and would like to give her a time frame

Typically an eviction case will take around 3-4 weeks from start to finish depending on how busy the court docket is and how busy the sheriff is. That is from the day the case is filed to the day the sheriff shows up and puts the person out.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer