Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I found a lien on my house from Irwin Home Equity and was…

I found a lien...

I found a lien on my house from Irwin Home Equity and was wondering if I should try to find them and settle the debt

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. i was researching through the recorders office bc someone wants to buy our house

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Sharon, PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Who is going to contact me.

3/16/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Do you recognize the debt?
I would contact the creditor and seek to resolve. Often old debts can be resolved for a fraction of the claim. You can also have counsel handle it. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. If entered without notice on default a court can also remove the lien. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Is there a percentage of the loan i could offer to pay and settle it? And if so, what might the percent be I should offer?
How old is the debt?
1998
That is very old debt. I would begin by asking for proof of allege debt. The judgment if any should have expired and debt should be uncollectable. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Can you sell a house with a lien on it?

Yes, but buyer will normally want it satisfied before closing.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Great. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer