Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a month to month lease and now have been injured

I have a month...

I have a month to month lease and now have been injured resulting in a fractured ankle which led me to be out of work fir the past 3 months. I am unable to move. Can my landlord evict me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I don’t have a lease. Black ice was the cause of the injury. Can he take me to court to be evicted ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it. Thanks

I read that a 30 day notice is required on month to month. If I still don’t move is the next step going to court? What rights due I have since I was injured on premises and have lost wages?
3/16/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Are you saying that you can not pay the rent?
No I am paying my rent and don’t have anything outstanding. I have been living here going on 4 years. Just want to know my rights since I have a month to month lease
My lease expired last June 2017. Since then I have been month to month.
I got injured on the premises in January. If I am taken to court will this injury be taken into consideration?
Thank you for the additional information.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.
Unfortunately, your injury will not prevent the judge from issuing an order to evict.
You may be able to get a hardship delay but it is measured in days, not weeks or months.
The proces, once the landlord files in court, take about a month until an actual eviction.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you blindsided.
.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Loren, Lawyer
Not the answer I wanted to hear. But thank you for your advise.
Another question. What if the property is not registered with HPD.
That would not make a difference either.
Ok thanks.
You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA and good luck.