Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a tenant. My landlord came to the house, entered the…

I am a tenant...

I am a tenant. My landlord came to the house, entered the front gate, and peeked through the windows. Then asked my neighbor if he knew us and could tell her about us. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I’m very close to taking her to small claims court if she doesn’t give me my deposit back by the 21 day mark.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She told me to gave me 15 days to get out of her house. Never gave me a 30 day notice. I have always paid my rent on time or early.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking how much notice you are entitled to as a tenant? IF not, can you tell me what are your questions?

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Can the landlord come unannounced,enter the front yard and look through the windows.
can the landlord talk to your neighbors and ask about what kind of person you are.

The landlord can speak to your neighbors...there is no law that prohibits that (such a law would violate the US constitution of freedom of speech). And the landlord can inspect their property (so a look in the window would not, likely, violate any law)

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that this is against the law, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Ok well she gave us 15 days to get out of her house is that legal?
she’s allowed to inspect the property without written notice?

NO...you are entitled to 30 days written notice before they can evict. ANd if you have lived there for more than a year? YOu get 60 days notice.