Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have some property that I inherited from my dad when he…

Customer Question
I have some property...

I have some property that I inherited from my dad when he died and we put my brother & his wife name , and me and my wife name . My brother died and sisternlaw want to buy us out , how do I do this

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The deed and my dads will

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/16/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you saying that there are currently 4 names on the deed?

,

Does the deed say "joint tenants" or does it say "tenants in common"?

.

.

thanks

I don't know my brother had it

Ok that is kind of important because if it was tenants in common then someone will have to file a probate case to settle his estate and then his 25% would have to go through probate down to his heirs. If this wasn't his wife solely, then she would have to buy out any other heirs of his share. Then you and your wife could sign a quitclaim deed from you as Grantors over to her as the Grantee for the selling price.

.

But if it is joint tenants, then his interest extinguished upon his death leaving the 3 of you left, each with 1/3. So you and wife could sign a quitclaim deed from you as the Grantors over to his wife as the Grantee and she pays you whatever you agreed on as a price.

.

So one way is the easy way and the other is the hard way..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much