Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I signed a contract for deed almost a year ago but the house…

I signed a contract...

I signed a contract for deed almost a year ago but the house has so much work that needs to be done, I'm tired of putting money in to it and really want to move. I've done improvements and not taking anything away but added to the value

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The person said he filed the Contract for deed but I haven't received that and it's been months since he claimed it was filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Virginia, MN The seller is in Miami, FL

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what your legal question is?

.

How much was the house and how much have you paid?

.

.

thanks

30,900 $1500 as a downpayment and then an additional $4900 in monthly payments

Ok, what is your legal question I can help with?

I was wondering if there is a legal way to get out of a contract for deed?

You can abandon the contract entirely and just return the property to the seller if you would like, but they wouldn't have to refund any money that you had paid...

.

Or if the property is worth more than you paid for it, you could sell the property and assign the contract to a new buyer who would just step into your shoes and take over.

.

.

thanks

Thank you!!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer