Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am wondering if it is against the law for a rental agency…

I am wondering if...

I am wondering if it is against the law for a rental agency to incur late fees to my rent payments over due that wasn't my fault. Because I had the funds available at the time and my lease had ended. The agency never got a hold of me because the property I am renting got transferred to another property manager whom instead of sending me the lease renewal prior to the lease ending but sent me the renewal a month after the lease has ended.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I tried explaining the situation to the agency accountant and the new property manager as well as filed a complaint to BBB. I'm not sure what kind of paperwork I will need to file, but I do have emails saved and bank statements.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Ottawa, IL but the agency is out of Michigan.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I was threatened by the agency a month later, when they finally made contact, about taking me through the legal system.

3/15/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Late fees cannot be imposed where the agency has unclean hands and didn’t act promptly to notify as well as where fees are arbitrary and not agreed to in the lease or otherwise.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Great. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer