Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is an Agreement for the Sale of Commercial Real Estate

Customer Question
Is an Agreement for...

Is an Agreement for the Sale of Commercial Real Estate binding if only the Husband signs the Agreement although both the husband and wife are on the deed for the property

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Just the Agreement to sell the real estate, actually the only signatories were me and my partner our wives who are on the deeds did not sign

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/15/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

The PA statute of frauds requires all parties with ownership interests to sign such a contract for it to be valid.If parties are missing it is not valid and legally enforceable.

Reference to the law

The concept of a statute of frauds is borrowed from English common law. In fact, Pennsylvania’s primary statute of frauds dates back to 1772, when Pennsylvania was still a British colony. This statute, codified at 33 P.S. § 1, provides in essence that all conveyances of an interest in land, including leases for periods in excess of three years, must be in the form of a signed writing in order to be enforceable in a court of law. In short, a purported oral conveyance of real estate is of no legal effect. The rule extends not just to conveyances of full fee title, but also to agreements for the sale of real estate, easements and brokerage or listing agreements.

The rationale for the statute of frauds is that requiring a signed writing will prevent or at least radically limit attempts to enforce unfounded and fraudulent claims against the real estate of another. The statute reflects a recognition that the higher the stakes in a transaction, the greater the incentive to fabricate or distort an agreement, and, therefore, the greater the need for requiring a signed writing. Thus, the statute of frauds drastically reduces the opportunity for fraud, perjury and similar mischief in real estate transactions.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Let me know if you have more.