Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a buyer or seller opt out of a home purchase at closing?

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/15/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A person can always choose to breach a contract, which would include backing out of a home purchase at closing. However, there are consequences associated with making that decision. A seller who backs out could be sued for an order requiring him to proceed with the sale. This is because real estate is unique and the law has said that another property wouldn't be enough to compensate the buyer for the loss of that particular property.

A buyer who backs out can be sued for the money the seller loses at the sale. At a minimum, that's going to be any realtor fees the seller has to pay, because the realtor has earned their fee and is entitled to payment as soon as the contract is signed. They get paid even if the deal doesn't go through. But also, if the seller isn't able to find another buyer to pay the same amount or more for the property, the buyer who cancelled would be liable for the difference.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?