Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am currently renting an apartment in Indianapolis, IN and…

I am currently renting...

I am currently renting an apartment in Indianapolis, IN and have had a laundry list of safety issues, maintenance neglect and most recently the landlord trying to pay me off with a giftcard when I reported a major issue. I am trying to break my lease without penalty.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

A few issues, 11/4 installed ceiling fans and broken the glass globe and left shards of glass on my bed and on my floor. Then when I reported it they didn't come clean it up, they left it on my floor. That is just 1 issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also was trapped in my apartment for over an hour on 12/29 with my son who has a neurological condition. His medication as in my car and I could not get out of my apt to access it. I called the office and she asked me not to call 911. I can go over the rest with the lawyer. Like I said, i have several issues.

3/15/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to figure out how I can terminate my lease without penalty. I continue to encounter issue after issue and I do not feel safe living here anymore.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here is my lease agreement.
if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! ThanksA lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Can also take landlord to court for a declaratory order.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you be able to help me draft such a letter?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have dates and details on each incident and the response time. I also have documented verbal conversation as well.
Local counsel can do so. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thanks. I will try that.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Infolawyer, Lawyer