Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in the state of Maryland so Im not sure if I should…

Customer Question
Hello...I live in the...

Hello...I live in the state of Maryland so Im not sure if I should file a civil complaint or a police report of a stolen vehicle. I have two (2) vehicles that are in a auto repair facility where there is apparently a dispute between the tenant & landlord. The landlord has locked the tenant out and refuses any entry unless all back fees from the tenant are paid. He states I could pay the past due fees on the tenants behalf which I thought was odd. The past due fees are currently $5,000.00 which is a dispute between those two parties. How do I proceed to recover my property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

I live in the state of Maryland and the location of the vehicle(s) are in Baltimore City. I've been attempting to contact the mechanic (tenant) for the last couple of weeks without much success other than promises.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I'm only a customer who was having my car serviced there.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's basically the situation.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Particularly when it had complete cause by third parties.

So I would do both. First, ensure that you have informed the landlord that you want your cars back. Once this is confirmed (do it in some written form if you haven't already). If your cars continue not to be returned, then call the police and tell them that all you want are your cars back - express that you are willing to pay the proper person any charges for valid contracted work, but that you have been attempting to get your vehicles back and have nothing to do with a landlord/tenant dispute. Hopefully this will end your dilemma. Do have all documents of title, proof of insurance, paid taxes, etc. to show ownership.

If, for some reason this does not work, file suit and serve both of them.

The police avenue will likely provide the most immediate relief, but if not, get them in Court and get your property back!

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer