Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been renting for over ten years, I'm paying my rent…

Customer Question
Hello, i have been...

Hello, i have been renting for over ten years, I'm paying my rent on time. The landlord wants me to get out in two months. And did not take my rent,

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sufflfok county, new york state

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There was no lease

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Has the landlord given you any written notice to vacate?

.

What is your legal question I can help with today?

.

.

thanks

no verbal , he said he talked to his lawyer to ask me will I be out in two months. I just need time to find a place.

Ok, verbal means nothing legally. But under NY law, he would only have to give you a written 30 day notice to vacate. So until he actually gives you a written notice, the clock doesn't start running..

.

With that said, if it were me, I would tell him you should be out in around 45 days or so and see if he will just take your word on it rather than giving you a written notice...

.

Even after the 30 day notice expires, he would have to file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment of eviction and that takes around another month or so.

.

So you will have a minimum of 2 months from the time that he actually gives you a written notice to vacate..

.

.

thanks