Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm having a landlord-tenant issue, me being the tenant.

Customer Question
I'm having a landlord-tenant...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington state.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I took over (sublet) the final three months of a one year lease, expiring on 3/31. I was told at the beginning that I would havethe option of renewing the lease at that time. I was informed yesterday (3/13) that the owners are moving back in and I need do be out at the end of the month. Can they legally do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. It will all depend on the terms of your sublease. If the sublease does not provide for an option to renew and the sublease expires by its own terms on 3/31 - then your landlord has the right to have you vacate the premises. Did you have anything in writing signed at or after the sublease that provided you with an option to renew?

The only thing I signed was an "Addendum to Lease" which added me to the lease agreement. The option to renew is not in writing, it verbally expressed in early January.

W​as the verbal agreement before or after the addendum was signed? If it was after, it may be enforceable as an oral modification of the written Addendum.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.