Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a duplex and have an upstairs neighbor who comes…

Hi, I live in...

Hi, I live in a duplex and have an upstairs neighbor who comes home every night at 4am, wakes up my whole family pretty consistently when playing with her dog on wooden floors upon return. I'm at my breaking point: I have complained multiple times both to the neighbors and property managers but nothing is being done about it. What good is the contract if the property manager ignores your request to do something about the noise damage. Have not slept well the entire time I've moved in. What are my rights in this scenario?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No nothing yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the duplex located?

Los Angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have a right to peaceable use and enjoyment of your property you are leasing. If the manager is ignoring the fact that the tenant is violating that right by making noise at unreasonable times, and 4AM is certainly unreasonable, then you have a right to call the police for disturbing the peace and you also can sue the landlord for breach of lease and the tenant for her creating a nuisance and interfering with your peaceable use and enjoyment of your apartment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you!

Thank you.