Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is a landlord obligated/responsible in Lake County Indiana…

Customer Question
Is a landlord obligated/responsible...

Is a landlord obligated/responsible in Lake County Indiana to provide assistance to move a family when the city and state condemn the house they are renting

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

The family hasn't done anything they are in a few tough situations, the city and state are condemning the home, I am thinking for her to see if there is a responsibility on the landlords part to get them out of the home as they have less then 10 days to get out, the state and city said they should have had them leave immediately, her husband passed away the day before that city and state and mayor showed up at her door...they are in the flood zone of lake station

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to an Indiana lawyer about this?

No - she isn't functioning yet, and I am doing fundraising to get any money together to help them get out of there, is that something she should do or be doing now, and that would go to small claims?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it in a nutshell

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A landlord is liable to provide a habitable premises to live in under a lease. If the home is not habitable, then the landlord is in breach of lease and the landlord is liable to either find another place for the tenant to live or to pay for the tenant's damages, including costs of moving.

So, if the city is condemning the property she is renting, then the landlord is liable to them to pay for the move or repair the property. She can sue in small claims for those moving costs, BUT the problem is that will take awhile and she will need to move out before that time if the premises is condemned.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.