Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a property on the US Marshal's auction. Am I

I bought a property...

I bought a property on the US Marshal's auction. Am I responsible for the previous owner unpaid property tax?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I did not undersatand the question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

3/14/2018
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

So property taxes attach to the property not the owner which means in order to keep the property you have to pay the taxes. Unfortunately auctions many times do not tell people this when they are buying properties. Anytime you a buy a property at auction you should determine what the property taxes are. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Did you have any other questions? If not please don't forget to rate me. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THx I have one more quick question. The Marshal gave me a quit claim which I recorded with the county recording office. Is a quit claim sufficient enough document to have as an evidence of the ownership or I need to have something else?

Yes. You own the property no question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
means that Quit claim is enough?

Correct. Quit claim deeds are the most common way to transfer property.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. You will get 5.

Thank you much appreciated

Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

If more issues crop up please contact me! Here is the link to my profile:

https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-expert-andy/?rpt=3800

Ratings are at the top of the page! Good luck.

Andrew
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer