Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently won a property at an auction and need someone to…

Customer Question
I recently won a...

I recently won a property at an auction and need someone to review the judgement to provide answer to my needs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Jacksonville, FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I am not very familiar with judgement/attorney language

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a copy of the judgement available. My main concern is once I purchase/pay for the it, are there any other additional cost or liens I need to satisfy.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

If you bought a property at auction, there may be additional liens on it. For example, if this was a mortgage foreclosure, possibly there would be tax liens on the property left outstanding. Did you ever do a title search to see what liens were outstanding?

I have not done a title search yet

Okay. A title search will tell you if there are any other liens on the property. A title insurance would charge a fee but it is well worth it.

Liens operate by priority, seniority, or superiority based generally on the order of their recordation. So the title search will tell you if there are any liens and the priority of them. A mortgage lien recorded before the one defaulted and foreclosed would not be extinguished by the auction purchase and sale, and the purchaser would become responsible for it.

So, you need to know if there are any other liens that are senior to your lien. A title search will help.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Do you recommend anyone that can do a quick title search for me?

Here is the link to the yellow pages for title insurance companies. We are not permitted to recommend any one company but this will give you some numbers to call.

https://www.yellowpages.com/jacksonville-fl/title

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.