Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Im currently renting a home. the owner wants to sell the…

im currently renting a home...
im currently renting a home. the owner wants to sell the house. shes demanding that i leave the premises and has threatened to give me a thirty day notice. can the owner give me a notice to leave even though im under a lease until November?
3/14/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, they can't. Your lease is valid and binding until it ends. The landlord doesn't have to renew the lease, but they cannot make you leave before it ends unless you violate it. A thirty day notice in this scenario would be meaningless. And if they changed the locks or otherwise tried to force you out, you could sue for all money lost, including legal fees. Ohio Rev. Code, Section 5321.15.

Your being there doesn't stop the landlord from listing and selling the property. The lease will transfer to the new owner. You would have to allow her to do showings as long as she provides reasonable notice. But she can't make you move out.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
thank you for that information