Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We moved in to our 1965 built house two years ago. Recently,

Customer Question
the Neighbour on the east...
We moved in to our 1965 built house two years ago. Recently, the Neighbour on the east came to me to ask me to fix the fence. She said it was determined long before we came in that each owner is responsible for their east side fence and she took care of her side. And I talked to the neighbor on the other side ( they both are original owners), but the other Neighbour said the west side should be our responsibility too. There is no such a thing as they take care the east side fence. And they said to look at the survey, I took a look, but couldn’t find anything related to who’s responsible for repairing the fence. How do I deal with this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/14/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

On whose side/property is the fence? If it is on Person A's property then he/she is responsible for it absent an agreement with their neighbor to the contrary.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t see it from the survey. The fence seems to be the same line as the dividing line. I would have to say the original three sides of the fence were the same style and material.
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago

So, you'd need to figure out whose property it's on - that's the person who has to pay for the fence UNLESS some agreement was made to the contrary.

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 1 month ago

Hello. I wanted to follow up to see if you still need assistance with your question - and to confirm that you got my previous response. If the fence is on your property you would be responsible for that part of fence. If it was not on your property it would be the responsibility of the person whose property it is on. The neighbors may have had an agreement about who would repair which wall of the fence, if it is a shared fence, but you're not under any obligation to honor the terms arrived to prior to your purchasing of the house. If you're unable to decipher from the survey, though, you might want to ask the court to assist you in deciphering it or hire an an architect that might be able to help you with that. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent