Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in monroe county pa. I want to file a deed from

I live in monroe...

I live in monroe county pa. I want to file a deed from sister in law to sister in law would this be exempt fron 2% transfer tax?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I purchased the home for cash in 2002, but put deed into my sister in laws name due to financial issues, now we want to put the deed into my name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania monroe county

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If it is not exempt is there another way to file without having to pay 2% transfer tax. Like can i do a quitclaim from her to her and me and then waut awhile and quitclaim to just me?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Ok thank you

You can do it now it is exempt from fees......

Here is a list of some of the more common exempt transfers:

1- Transfers for no consideration (i.e. by gift) which pass property under a will or by intestate succession

2- Transfer for no consideration to a trustee of an ordinary trust where the transfer would be exempt if it was made directly from the property owner to all of the possible beneficiaries under the trust (such as where all beneficiaries are exempt family members);

3- Transfers for no consideration to a trustee of a living trust from the creator of the living trust;

4- Transfers for no consideration between a principal and an agent or straw party;

5- Transfers made by corporations in connection with a merger or consolidation;

6- Transfers from a corporation to its shareholders of real estate so long as they receive the real estate in the same proportion as their stock ownership and where they have been stockholders for at least 2 years;

7- By far the most common exempt transfer is between family members. For example, when two individuals get married they often choose to re-title real estate in both names where it was previously owned by only one of them. This is an exempt transfer. Parents often transfer real estate to a younger generation in connection with estate planning. These are also exempt transfers. Transfers between husband and wife, between parent and child or the spouse of such child, between brother and sister or spouse of a brother or sister, and between a grandparent and a grandchild or the spouse of such grandchild.

Reference..https://pa-titlecompany.com/pa-transfer-tax-exemptions/

It would be exempt here so file it now if you want to transfer title.I appreciate the chance to help you tonight. Thanks If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ok do i have to do an affidavit or another form to state its through family.

N​o when you file they will have form to fill out claiming the exemption.File the deed in person and you should be fine to claim exemption as per statute above.I don't see any problems doing so this is well know exemption in PA for any family transfers.

Thank you so much and i will rate you a 5.

Have a great evening stars at top of your page.

Ray, Lawyer
Your welcome one last thing should i put on the deed transfer is from sister in law to sister in law?

You will need to show it qualifies here so yes ***** ***** sister in law of..to ***** ***** sister in law to....on the deed.

Thank you again. I think i am set. Have a wonderful night.

You too thanks again and bye for now.

Ray, Lawyer