Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter entered into a lease to rent a 2 bedroom

My daughter entered into...

My daughter entered into a lease to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Phoenix Arizona back in July2017. She is a student at ASU. From August of 2017 her roommate decided to have her boyfriend move in and he has been living there ever since. It has been extremely uncomfortable for my daughter and it caused their relationship to collapse. My daughter wants the illegal boyfriend out. Her roommate refused so we reported the situation to the Management company. They agreed that he is an illegal tenant and said they would post a note informing the roommates boyfriend must leave. My daughter went to speak to the Property Manager about breaking the lease because she is feeling extremely unsafe in the current living situation and was told there is no way she can break the lease. If she's feeling threatened she should call the police. Do we have any recourse since the Management Company is unwilling to force the removal of this illegal occupant?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It is in Phoenix Arizona, my daughter attends college there

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I was told that there is no paperwork we could file by the Management company, unless the roommate was willing to pay the entire cost of the rent, my daughter has no choice but to continue to pay the rent. We are willing to pay a penalty to break the lease, there are 3 months left but we were told that is not an option

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, while my daughter lives in Phoenix Arizona, I am actually a New York State resident

3/13/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Does this lease address this specific issue (I would expect no...but you may have some insight into this)?

Thank you. I feel like my daughter is being taken advantage of because she is a young girl. I feel that it's the Management's responsibility to provide a safe environment and my daughter shouldn't be responsible for trying to get an illegal tenant out of her apartment. I do not have a copy of the lease agreement, my daughter believes she has at the apartment but she is staying at a hotel because she feels unsafe. I have asked her to get it so we can review it, she believes there was some stipulation that breaking the lease would be subject to fees, but she is being told that is not an option

THanks
I have some thoughts and will type them up...a few mins please.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Phone call session started