Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My fiancé wants to take an equity loan on his home that is…

My fiancé wants to...

My fiancé wants to take an equity loan on his home that is paid off, but they need me as a co-borrower. We are not legally married, how do I protect myself, in the event something should happen to him, he plans on leaving everything to his 4 children

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you on the title to the property? If not, why do you need to be the co-borrower?

not listed on property He is on Social Security?

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

If you are going to be listed as the co-borrower you will be personally liable for repayment. So, if you are not on title, you have all the liability and none of the control.

Therefore, I would not recommend that you take on the liability unless you are married and he adds you to the title as a joint tenant. Otherwise, let the children who are going to inherit the property sign on as co-borrowers.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you blindsided by liability, without any control over the collateral.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank YOU