Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been living in my apartment for almost 28 years.

I have been living...

I have been living in my apartment for almost 28 years. During this time there have many different owners and we were never charged to park. Now the new owner is telling us that he's going to start charging $100 dollars a month for parking. Can he do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

NJ and the lot is apart of the apartment complex

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Now yet. The property manager mentioned that this is what the new owners want to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are nine apartments and as I mentioned we have never paid. I found my lease from 2009 and it does include parking as part of my rent, but every owner after that has never put it in our lease.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

unfortunately when the current lease expires the landlord is free to impose new terms which may charge for parking; normally any proposed changes must be provided to the tenant with 30 days notice so the tenant has an opportunity to move if they don't agree to the terms of the new lease.

no matter how many years we've lived here and never paid for par
king, he can make us pay
Thanks

Unfortunately yes because each new lease is a new contract and if no new lease is signed then it converts to a month to month tenancy; at each stage renegotiations and modifications of terms are possible.

Of course often a landlord will work with a long term tenant because they appreciate their presence but - others take it for granted.

Thank again for your help

You are most welcome;

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator