Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father passed away. we are in the process of selling

Customer Question
Good afternoon. my...

Good afternoon. my father passed away. we are in the process of selling house. what happens if debt collectors are attempting to garnish one siblings portion of the house. can the debt collector take the entire proceeds

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We went thru probate and are closing soon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know what my rights are concerning my portion of the house.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/13/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

The estate has no liability for an heir's debt.

The sibling's creditor may garnish the distribution to the sibling who owes money, but they have no right to seize any other heir's share.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.