Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Miami Dade county has a $90.000 lien on my property because…

Customer Question
Hello , Miami Dade...

Hello , Miami Dade county has a $90.000 lien on my property because of a code violation from 2007 , now I need plumbing work and can't get a permit , is there anything I can do your advice is greatly appreciated , thanks and God bless.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh sorry Miami Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes only a request for a permit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it in general

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/13/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago
Michael Bradley

what does the lien represent?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had roofing repairs done by an out of town contractor , the final inspection was not approved but the contractor could not be contacted nor did I have the money to do the corrections , so I got a permit from the Miami Dade county , but I discovered roofing is something I know nothing about so I just let it be since I didn't have any leaks or damage , I'm disable and live solely on my monthly social security check which barely get me by each month so satisfying a $90.000 lien is a pipe dream at best , now I have plumbing problem with sewage coming up in bathtub and shower and need repairs drastically , my wife and I have to go to surrounding establishments for bathroom emergencies , how embarrassing it is to live like this .
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

Unfortunately that is the kind of stuff that these municipalities do regarding violations such as not obtaining permits. They stick liens on the property in order to sit and wait for them to get paid. Either they will get paid right away or they will sit there until the time the property is sold and then the lien would have to be satisfied and cleared off. The amount of the lien somewhat high in my opinion. What I would do would be to contact Miami zoning and or the building code enforcement officer to see if an arrangement can be made regarding the existing lien. I would hope that once you explain to them the reason for the plumbing permit as there is a raw sewage issue on the property that an agreement can be reached regarding the previous lien and also obtaining a new permit for the plumbing.

Tina, Lawyer