Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does a landlord have to furnish you with a proposed new

Customer Question
Does a landlord have...

Does a landlord have to furnish you with a proposed new lease before I have to give 60 days notice. Second question does a landlord have the right to withhold rent history from another apartment complex until I give 60 days notice that I am leaving?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

McKinney Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No yet, they are withholding my rental history from the apartment complex I want to move to and say I have to give them 60 days notice before they will release that information but, that also puts me at risk of losing my apartment if the new place doesn't accept me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, does the apartment complex have to give me a proposed new lease before I give 60 day notice. I have nothing from them yet

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/13/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Does a landlord have to furnish you with a proposed new lease before I have to give 60 days notice.

.

No, it is up to the landlord as to whether they want to offer a tenant a renewal lease or not. But there is no legal obligation for them to provide any proposed lease within any specific timeframe. They could decide to give it to the tenant the day before the lease expires or 6 months before if they wanted to and it would be legal.

.

But if they won't provide a renewal lease within a reasonable time before your lease expired, then the best recourse would be to assume that they aren't renewing and make other arrangements to move elsewhere if you have asked for a renewal lease and they won't provide one.

.

Second question does a landlord have the right to withhold rent history from another apartment complex until I give 60 days notice that I am leaving?

.

Unfortunately, I don't see any law in the landlord/tenant laws, TX Property Code CH 92, or under the TX Fair Housing Act that requires a landlord to provide a tenant's rental history to a prospective landlord. They can't provide false information, but they don't have to provide any information if they choose not to. And many won't simply because they are worried about being sued for defamation if they provide negative information to a prospective landlord.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much