Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord denied to renew my lease. He insisted that I…

My landlord denied to...

My landlord denied to renew my lease. He insisted that I must buy rental insurance before he allowed me to sign the new lease. Is he right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My lease expires on 3/31/18

3/13/2018
Thomas Swartz

Hello JACUSTOMER,

A landlord can require a tenant to purchase rental insurance. Rental insurance covers such things as personal liability and medical payments to others who get injured on the property. These are situations in which a landlord may want the tenant to provide coverage in order to lessen the landlord's potential liability for people who may get injured on the property. And so, it is legitimate for a landlord to ask a tenant to purchase rental insurance as part of the lease renewal process.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz