Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is the statue of limitation for mortgage fraud in

What is the statue...

What is the statue of limitation for mortgage fraud in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida and Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It could also be classified as identity theft is there a statue of limitations

3/13/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you provide some context? FL law allows "tolling" the statute in some cases...so context will be important.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well a mortgage was taken out in my name in Florida 2006 without my knowable the person lives in Georgia can I still press charges

You mean sue them? What you are describing, you could request the police prosecute....if the person left the state, the statute of limitations is tolled (the clock stops). And you can also sue them (again, when the leave the state, the statute of limitations is tolled

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the statute of limitations to prosecute them is 10 years

IF there are out of the state, the statute of limitations tolled.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry but what is is tolled me

Sorry, to "toll" means the clock stops to tick.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more question so if the person lived in Georgia, to begin with, and signed the papers in Georgia for a Florida mortgage is the statute go by the state of florida or geogia

Ahh...sorry. I was under the impression that they did this in FL. Just a moment...I need to pull the statute.

GA law is VERY favorable for this...can you tell me, when and how did you discover this fraud?

Phone call session started
P. Simmons, Lawyer