Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in Georgia and looking to take over mortgage payments…

I am in Georgia...

I am in Georgia and looking to take over mortgage payments for a friend. the mortgage is staying in friends name I am giving them a down payment what do I need to file to make this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No I'm trying to figure out what needs filed and where

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/14/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is the purpose of you taking over the payments? Are you purchasing the property?

Does the lender consent?

No knowledge if lender consents. I dont have good enough credit to get a loan. Eventual purchase is thr goal

You would want to file a contract for deed and record a memorandum of the agreement so that the public is on notice of your interest in the property.

The agreement should state how much you are going to pay and when you will get title, which is presumably once the loan is paid off and what ever else you are required to pay.

You will want to be careful because you are vulnerable to losing the property from prior liens and unpaid taxes, etc.

Notices are going to go to the owner, not you. So, foreclosure could come without warning.

As long as you understand that and go into this with you eyes open, you will be less likely to be blindsided.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer