Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My boyfriend and I recently signed a lease at a apartments…

My boyfriend and I...

My boyfriend and I recently signed a lease at a apartments community We were suppose to bring back security deposit and proof of income by 6 that night. We decided it was too much money. We did not bring back security deposit and left a message informing them it was too much money. 2 days later I received an email from the community director stating she u derstood we signed a lease but changed are mind and asked if there was anything they could do to help or to help make us rent there. I then received. Call from leading agent stating we can’t break lease even though we didn’t bring security or proof of income. Leading agent signed lease the next day not in front of us. Then proceeded to email me a bill for 25.000.00. I spoke with vomit I director regarding email she sent. She said she had never encountered this situation and it was a mistake for her to emailing me asking to help us stay. Are we liable for this lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We signed lease that’s it We never got a copy of it and it was not signed in front of us

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it

3/13/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Yes, once you sign a lease it's a legal contract that you're bound by.

Olivia Kent
Even though no money or proof of income was exchanged and I received an email from property manager saying she was aware of us canceling the lease and asking if she could do anything to help us become a resident there
Phone call session started

I got your phone call request. Please give me 5 minutes to call you.

It was my pleasure assisting you. The information you provided by phone really was instrumental in the discussion. Please keep me posted on what happens. And if you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.