Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Own a timeshare in St that is closed for 2018 due to

Customer Question
Own a timeshare in...

Own a timeshare in St Thomas that is closed for 2018 due to Hurricane Irma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you thoroughly reviewed the contract?

Am l still responsible for 2018 maintenance fees ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not sure of your question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just where my liabity lies as per the maintenance fees with the property closed for the year ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/12/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Unless the property has been condemned and the property is not being managed at all (abandoned), you will have a continuing obligation under the timeshare documents to continue to pay your timeshare maintenance fees. The only other exception is if the timeshare has provided a forbearance or moratorium (abatement) on the fees because of the storm and the resulting storm damage. Is the timeshare still operating? If so, they can still enforce the maintenance fees.

They are not open for business this year as they are rebuilding
Does that count as not operating ?
They are closed for business in 2018 as they are rebuilding
Does that count as not operating ?

T​hey may require the payment of maintenance fees in the timeshare documents to re-build their reserves for items in the construction -- roof, windows, etc. You should check the timeshare documents to see if they allow an abatement of fee payments. Have you received a invoice or reminder statement?

Their claim it is like owning a house it is a real property as you would continue paying the mortgage on a house l am obligated to pay maintenance on my unit which also is a real property

T​hat is likely true if the timeshare documents require the payment of the maintenance fees and do not allow an abatement. Most do not provide for an abatement.

I guess l am fighting this because l feel they are double dipping
Collecting insurance for the storm damage and charging me for something l can ‘t use and thus are not incurring any operating expenses because they are not open

I​ will opt out and let another expert assist you.

Okay thanks You have been very helpful !