Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do I obtain squatter's rights of my rental?

How do I obtain squatter's...
3/12/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you paying rent?

.

If not, how long have you not paid rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've never been late.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my phone is charging and it just started. It takes awhile. Thanks, ***** ***** this phone!

Ok, then you can never obtain "squatters rights" (i.e. adverse possession) because as a tenant you are a "licensee", who has rights under a lease agreement between you and the landlord of the property.

.

In order to gain squatter's rights/adverse possession, you would have to be in "hostile" possession, i.e. not permitted, for 7 years under WA law. In Washington the period of time for adverse possession must be at least seven (7) years. Washington Code §7.28.050-.090.

.

So if you stopped paying rent and told the landlord you weren't moving, and he didn't do anything for 7 years, you could claim legal ownership of the property.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer