Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother's land in Colorado was Quit Claim Deeded to her…

My mother's land in...

My mother's land in Colorado was Quit Claim Deeded to her children before she died. The Mineral Rights to the land were never put in their name and are still in her name. Do we need to hire an attorney to get this straightened out, go to Probate Court or can we just file an Affidavit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean. We have been paying the taxes on the property and mineral rights all along.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Everything has been recorded at the Prowers County Recorders office.

3/12/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Typing will be fine.
Ok.A quite claim deed transfers all rights your mother had in the property, at the time the deed was signed a transferred.If the a grantee owns mineral rights at the time the quite claim deed was signed, then it would transfer the mineral rights, unless the deed contained specific language to the contrary.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I talked to a gal at the Mineral Rights Office and in Colorado the Mineral Rights are completely separate from the land.The Quit Claim Deed had her name and all her children on it, then when she passed we just had to show them the Death Certificate.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is possible the gal at the MR Office didn't give me the correct information. If that's the case, where do I start to get the MR out of her name and into ours?
Colorado is a state that recognizes separate ownership between the private land (Surface Estate) and the minerals (Mineral Estate) that lie within.It may be the case that your mother transferred her rights to the property and another person owns the mineral rights. There can be different owners own the surface and the subsurface estates.All mineral rights transactions are public record, and if she did transfer the rights, or never owned the rights then it would be filed at the county clerks office.You should start by either checking the county records, or purchasing an abstract of title for the property from a title company.An abstract of title will reveal any problem in the chain of title, which would not necessarily be apparent from the last deed in in the chain of title regarding mineral rights.I hope this clarifies
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I am pretty sure she did not give the mineral rights to anyone else since the tax bill is still in her name.
You should check the county records to be sure.However, if she sold or lesser the rights there would be a separate surface use agreement, which, regulates the interaction between the owner, her, of the surface estate, and any owner of the mineral estate, and leasee of the mineral estate. Such agreements commonly include conditions under which the mineral leaseholder may access the surface estate in order to access the mineral estate.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator