Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I hope you are doing well today!! I live in and own property…

Good morning Richard! I hope...
Good morning Richard! I hope you are doing well today!! I live in and own property in an "upscale" neighborhood. My next door neighbor rents, but her landlord does not maintain the property. Because of this, water has been leaking from next door into my house causing damage. How do I handle this/ approach the owner regarding her lack of maintaining the property which caused damage to my property?Thanks.
3/12/2018
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. First, send the owner a letter by certified mail detailing the problem and give the owner a short specified time to remediate the problem and reimbursement you for any damages you have suffered due to the problem. Inform the owner in your letter that should the owner not timely comply with your demands, you will have no choice but to file suit asking the court to not only order the owner to remediate the problem, but to also award you damages to compensate you for the damages caused. The letter typically is sufficient to get a resolution, but if not, file your suit.

Thanks. How do I get the tenant to give me the landlord's information? I've been dealing with the tenant since I moved here and she's pretty guarded about her landlord (probably because she knows she's paying super cheap rent for this area).

You don't need the tenant to provide this. Look up the property address in the county's real estate tax records. It will identify the owner for you.

Thanks Richard!

It's my pleasure. :)

When I send the letter to the landlord about correcting her property and reimbursing me for fixing my property, do I include costs dating back to six years. That's how long I've been trying to resolve the water damage issue. I just recently found out that the problem is because of the next door neigbor's landlord needs to point the bricks in the front of her house, unclog her roof gutter, and who knows what else. Is there a statue of limitations on the amount of time that I can include for my repairs?Thanks.Giovannina

There is a 2 year statute of limitations on property damage so you can only go back 2 years.

Okay. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

You deserve all the stars. As I said before, YOU ARE MY FAVORITE Real Estate Lawyer! I will definitely bookmark the page.

You're very kind! Thank you!!!!