Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in Dallas Texas. I made a agreement with an apartment…

Good morning my name...

Good morning my name is***** am in Dallas Texas. I made a agreement with an apartment owner to rent a 2 bedroom apt. on 2nd floor. Was supposed to clean and fresh paint etc. I paid a 1200. deposit 820. per month, 2 months advacef and app. fee, totaling 2120.. upon arriving at property I was given keys to a third floor unit, that nothing works it is disgusting, doors and windows don't lock. . . .manager demanded an additional 1640. I spent one night in apt, 3/6//18. I immediately called the owner ask,ing for refund of funds I have left numerous mesdsages without results. I have staying in motls since theres so much more to tell. my number is(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas owner is in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

???? legally

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was released from prison on Tuesday, I feel like I am getting screwed because I am on parole.

3/12/2018
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. You absolutely do have a right to terminate and receive all your money back (plus the expenses you have incurred due to the landlord's default). You have grounds to rescind or break the lease based on one or more of the following: i) the property was not acceptable; for example, if the property was misrepresented as being something it is not or having something it does not have, you may declare a rescission of the contract; and/or ii) if the property had significant defects or other problems, you may also declare a rescission. Your situation essentially satisfies both these elements. A valid rescission will terminate your obligations under the contract. You will need to set forth the grounds in a written notice of rescission to the landlord and return the keys as soon as possible. If your money is not refunded voluntarily, file suit against the landlord. Let the landlord know that if you are forced to file this suit, you will be asking not only for the refund of your money, but also punitive damages for withholding what is due you in bad faith. And, that if he files any negative report against you, you will be adding a cause of action for defamation.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer
Phone call session started

It was a total pleasure speaking with you and I will absolutely keep you in my prayers! Here is the link to guide you through the Texas small claims court process:

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/sls/forms/How-to-Sue-in-Small-Claims-Court.pdf