Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchased a mobile home of 2-7-18 and found mold behind…

Customer Question
I purchased a mobile...

I purchased a mobile home of 2-7-18 and found mold behind the wall in the bathroom. The seller knew this as they papered over it. The contract was an as is contract, but this was not disclosed

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

Florida, and it is a double wide that is 28 years old

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No just found last night, pull down the wall paper yesterday and the dry wall was rotted

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/12/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Have you approached the seller about this yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doing that in twenty mlinuutes

Okay. Hold, please.

In Florida, sellers of residential real estate have a duty to disclose most material information about the condition of the property (past and present) as well as repairs that have been done and repairs that need to be done (including things like termite damage, mold, Chinese drywall, leaky roofs, plumbing and electrical issues, structural damage, code violations, illegal additions, etc.).

The buyer may have the right to rescind the deal and/or sue for money damages resulting from the failure to disclose (however, most standard form contracts now require most disputes to be mediated before litigation may commence – check your contract).

http://aboutfloridalaw.com/2013/10/22/duty-to-disclose-for-sellers-in-florida-residential-real-estate-transactions-florida-real-estate-buyers-are-protected-by-florida-law/

It does not matter that it says "as is." An "As is" clause does not negate the duty of the seller to disclose.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney