Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have my house for sale got offer fist showing and the

I have my house...

I have my house for sale got offer fist showing and the inspection was on Tuesday I got home on Saturday and fount that the inspectors had done some damage to home i.e. Took toilets up and left them un attached, took dish washer out but back wrong, damaged flooring. And I'm not sure but think there is more , I've been so upset and sick I've not been able to be there having panic Tacts. I just spent 30 thousand dollars fixing everything broken and remodeling to bring the home into this decAde. Can't understand what to do. I've notified my agent but seems he thinks I can just get it all repaired. Im upset terribly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

My agent said he woul bring it up in tomorrow meeting but I've not done anything don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm in need of advice

3/12/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear this;

was the inspector hired by the seller or the buyer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The buyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At this point I want to know what the law says I can do. The inspector made some bogus claims in his report. Seems my agent didn’t fully disclose to buyer what I had disclosed concerning a small amount of water in basement that the buyer saw before he made his offer. I found out the next morning and speadily got a foundation inspector out there and disclosed his findings to my agent. I ask my agent to follow up with the buyer that I was scheduling the repair he said that he told the buyers agent. But it appears to me the inspector was looking for a bogus reason for a leak. This tells me someone dropped the ball here and the inspector cross the line over what is legal I need to know the law concerning this.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot talk on the phone right now I’m at work

There is no statutory law governing this which means that common law doctrines apply.

There are 2 possible theories:

1. breach of contract -essentially the defendant did not comply with industry standards by not returning the premises to the condition they were in.

2. negligence- the defendant's negligent actions resulted in harm to the plaintiff. The harm must be reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused by defendant's negligence.

Under both theories the plaintiff may sue for actual damages- generally the cost to rectify the situation -ie to hire a third party contractor to restore the premises to the prior condition.

The inspector's insurance may cover such damages and may be willing to settle versus litigating the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found this out on Saturday so I expect to hear something today as a response to me asking what they plan to do I had told my agent that I would consult an attorney unless they satisfactorily paid for all damages this house has been a six-month remodel project for me and was finally done so I thought not knowing about that issue with the basement we’ve had a lot of excess rain and snow this year and it had not been there before so no knowledge of it before however I was doing the right thing trying to give the buyer a good product it was unreasonable that they have caused me so much stress I have been without Proper sleep and then having an Zaidi attacks this house has been listed for two weeks and the first week I had to make a repair because of the agent some agents don’t know which one let someone tear up a cabinet in the kitchen so I had to repair that last weekend and then this weekend I had this trauma

Yes, that would be very upsetting especially after spending so much time and money to get the house in perfect shape; I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If need be can I talk to you again this evening or tomorrow

Certainly; feel free to come back here and post your reply and I will respond as soon as I see it.

If you have no further questions kindly rate 5 stars (it helps with our customer rankings) - you will still be able to post any follow ups you may have!

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator