Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a tenant that is bringing a roommate to a contract…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a tenant that is bringing a roommate to a contract renewal - the roommate had some red flags in his background check - want to check with a lawyer how to proceed

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, I extended the lease for 1 month while we checked the background of the potential new roommate

3/12/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you?
I want to deny his application but I also don't want to be accused of discrimination later under Fair Housing Act - how do I handle the denial?
The background check came back with an eviction record and one arrest for possession of cannabis(less than 20g) and drug paraphernalia
You have valid reasons. It is not discriminatory and you need not explain yourself when denying. Security is your right.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Acceptable, thanks
Thanks! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer