Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Lori, a local attorney told me that the legal fees for a…

Hi Lori, a local attorney...
Hi Lori, a local attorney told me that the legal fees for a $5000 Mechanic's Lien make it impractical to involve an attorney in this situation. He suggested I contact the subcontractor to see if they have info on what is going on with the solar contractor. Should I try to settle this lien with the subcontractor and sue the solar contractor in Small Claims Court? What is your opinion on this? I don't like the subcontractor being screwed out of payment but I don't like paying for the same electrical supplies twice.
3/12/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
I recommend contacting the subcontractor for info first. Find out everything you can from the sub on the solar contractor and whether they received any payment. Also get a copy of the contract between the sub and the solar company. I would sue the solar company in small claims for breach of contract for failing to pay the sub.
Hope that helps!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Lori. Should I pay the subcontractor to make the Lien go away? I feel like the subcontractor took the easy way out by going after me instead of the solar contractor. I hate paying it but want to do what's fair.
I would recommend demand on the solar company to pay the sub - especially if you already paid the solar company for the sub's work. If you settle with the sub and you already paid for his work to the solar company- you will be paying twice. If you can negotiate a reasonable payoff with the sub - it probably is worth it in the end.
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer