Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a Unit in a that doesn't share a wall with the two…

Customer Question
I live in a Unit...
I live in a Unit in a triplex that doesn't share a wall with the two other units. Some kind of way the people 9 ft away are manipulating my floor with sound. At times the floor feels to hard to stand on and at other times the floor is so full of sound or energy my chair want sit till on top of it. Is it possible they are doing this with a subwoofer? I believe it's intentional because what ever I do to counteract it they just adjust what they are doing to keep messing with the foundation we share.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/11/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Attorney 1, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening. Interference from neighbors is never a good thing and it sounds like this is pretty prevalent. If you have not already spoken to them about the problem, it would be a good idea to do so in case the situation can somehow be worked out. If talking to the neighbors doesn't help You could put it all in writing and send it to the neighbors with a copy to the building owner via certified mail. That will lay the groundwork for any further legal action you decide to take because there will be something in writing to support your position. If that still doesn't resolve the problem, you could sue the neighbors and perhaps the owner in court with a cause of action for nuisance, Which is a substantial and unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of property. You would also request an injunction, which is a court order that the neighbors stop whatever actions in which they are engaging that affect you. Violation of the court order would be contempt of court and there would be additional consequences. The court may also are you damages for the time you have been subjected to the problem, but damages will only start to accrue after you provide written notice, so be sure to put your complaint in writing.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue to provide assistance. If I have answered your question, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated. Five star ratings are especially appreciated.

Good luck!

Best,
Attorney 1

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I needed an audio engineer. Or maybe an audiophile to figured out how it was being done. I was trying to get a lawyer. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question though. I appreciate the courtesy and the professionalism.

My pleasure. Note that you do not need to know how it is being done to bring an action for nuisance. You just need to show it is happening and prove the source.

Also you can bring an action on your own in small claims court or, of course, you can hire an attorney. If you decide to retain counsel, a good referral source will be your county bar association.

Take care.

Best,

Attorney 1

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's just it proof. Hard to record infrasonic bass. So figuring it out seems like a better option. Also tried small claims court which didn't work. Only 8.5 months left on lease but lack of sleep and frayed nerves may be my undoing before then. Thanks anyway.

You can try downloading an infrasonic recorder app. They are available for both iPhone and Android.

Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney