Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My 19-year-old Niece was evicted from her apartment. She was…

My 19-year-old Niece was...

My 19-year-old Niece was evicted from her apartment. She was two months behind in rent. She lost her job, but told us she was still employed and paying rent. We are now having her tested and may soon get a diagnosis that would give her access to services under the America Disability Act. We are wondering if it would be worth our time to help her contact the collection agency to present this information to hopefully get her amount reduced. Thank you. We are in MN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

For her health status or the eviction?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It would not be a legal basis or a defense, as to now paying the agreed upon rent under the lease but you could try and present any mitigating factors for them to consider, to reduce the amount which is owed and they are entitled to. If this is with a collection agency, they want to collect, so if you are trying to help her and willing to pay, you can propose to them an amount that is less than owed, to satisfy the debt in full and avoid court.

RealEstateAnswer