Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a building inspector or code inspector captain make a…

Can a building inspector or...
Can a building inspector or code inspector captain make a owner get a demolition building permit if they will not give the owner of a copy of the report where he is ordering the owner to get a demolition permit.?
3/11/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

No, the inspector cannot make up a report or permit and then refuse to give the owner a copy of the report. The report is public record and the owner is entitled to the report. It seems this inspector is working unsupervised and you would need to go to the building and planning board and file a complaint about the conduct, since you are indeed making repairs on the property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thanks but are you talking about both the building and planing board and the board of zoning appeals board. Because the condemnation seems strange as the Code Enforcement Captain has now told me he did not condemn my home for the drywall being off the wall or because of the garbage being thrown in the house but and not the missing light fixture but now it is condemned and the power to the burglar alarm system is being cut of because the light switch covers were removed when the drywall was removed and the light switches have dust in them and supposed the switch for the stove range was not correctly disconnected even though the electrical panel was off. I just paid over $14,000 for my house before it could be sold at auction and I am suing my mortgage company and insurance company for break-in my house and stealing my my construction equipment and failing to pay for the water damage to my house and then taking my insurance checks.I think something is going on as the house and property is very valuable and the insurance proceeds is offered is a lot and the money still owed is quite a bit.But I think I needed to Appeal the condemnation and the way they trying to get the house and lot seems like there is something else going on because permit department says to clean out the trash and cabinets does not require a demolition permit and the permit that would let me to get a dumpster and have the renovation work estimate does not require demolition permit. That the remodeling estimate permit is all that is needed and only $75.00. But the Code people want to go through the whole house check the whole house, all systems and the and the large lot which is cut and not over grown. Telling me I can not do any of the work or get the permits even though the County lets the owner pull permits and do and Supervisor the work.
It seems to be being left so people can break in the house and damage the property and keep me from being able to pursue my lawsuit against the mortgage company, insurance company and contractors who entered who entered my house without my permission.

Thank you for your reply.

You need to file your appeal to the appeal board. You need to get a local attorney and do that as soon as you can, because you do have a duty to file to try to stop the further damage.

You have to let code enforcement check everything, that is their job. So if you are refusing to allow them to do so, that too would delay the matter.

Thank you.
I am learning so thank you for your information. I am always happy to learn.B because my house is in Georgia the District Court of Tennessee transfered my case to Tennessee the other Defendants are citizens of are in other states and I am out of state. Too. As I said several days ago I let codes in. No reason to not let him in. Also tried to get a Georgia have not been able to get a lawyer.
But I still need to pursue the case before I miss any deadlines.
That's why I need to be able to ask questions of people who know Georgia law while lI am learning and looking for and attorney. But I will understand if you don't feel comfortable answering my questions. But I will appreciate any questions you answer thank you.

Thank you for your reply.

The code issue is one though that you need to get before the local code enforcement appeal board, so you have to pursue that issue separate from the house issue in TN. You can get an attorney who handles code enforcement and building code cases at the same site used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org

This is not an issue for Tennessee. The house is in Morrow Georgia . My question is do I need to file my complaint with Clayton County Georgia board of Appeals or file my complaint with the Planning department? I have not been able to get a lawyer as of yet.
I am not trying to stop the Code department from entering the house. But it does seem that the inspector seems to be trying to find ways to justify the condemnation but do not want to turn his report over to me or the district court even though the house was already in federal when he decided to condemn it. I just wanted to know if I needed to file at board of zoning Appeals and at Planning Department. I thought I read you say two different departmentsfor filing the complaint.

Thank you for your reply.

I know I said that above that you need to deal with it in GA and you need the attorney to file an appeal at the board of appeals. I did not say it is two different departments, I said that this issue is not one for the TN courts, it is for the GA courts, but you have to start in zoning appeals.