Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are renting a property in Chicago. Does the landlord have…

Customer Question
Hi, we are renting...

Hi, we are renting a property in Chicago. Does the landlord have the right to remove all of our furniture (couch, bed, dining table) from our property and dispose it when we are in the middle of our lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are planning to sublease the apartment, but the subleasers only agreed if there was furniture. All the furniture is owned by us, but has now been disposed of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Why would the landlord remove and dispose of your property?

.

Did he think you had abandoned the property?

.

.

thanks

We believe there was a miscommunication with the property manager. We moved to London, and the landlord gave us permission to sublease. He said he would like to paint the place for the new sub-tenants.We believe when he asked the property manager to paint the place, the property manager didn't know that this was a sub-tenant that would be coming in, so he removed all the furniture and threw it out.This is our assumption, we have only been able to talk to the Leasing Agent, and the Property Manager. We don't have any contact with the landlord.

Ok, then if your tenancy hadn't terminated and you had not abandoned the property, the landlord has zero legal rights to do anything to your personal property as long as you are still paying rent.

.

Even if you were behind on rent, the landlord would have to formally evict you through the courts before he could dispose of your personal property.

.

So your recourse here is to come up with an inventory of property that is missing/damaged and then sue the landlord for your damages.

..

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much