Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I married a widower whose late wife's name is still on the…

I married a widower...

I married a widower whose late wife's name is ***** ***** the title to our house. If he dies before me, is this going to be a problem?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has adult children.

3/10/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Ok, thank you

It is a problem here, he needs to file for probate of his late wife and be appointed personal representative.As PR he can then deed it to himself.Once that is done he needs to add you to the deed.Thats how you can be protected here and not be left without a roof over your head.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Lawyer referral for you both

Lawyer Referral Services

COUNTY NUMBER

Allegany County
(Christina Gonzaga-Hamilton)(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Anne Arundel County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Baltimore City (###) ###-####/p>

Baltimore County (###) ###-####/p>

Calvert County
(Mark Carmean)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Caroline County
(Robert Thornton, Jr)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Carroll County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Cecil County
(Jennifer Hammond)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Charles County(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Dorchester County
(Mid-Shore Pro-Bono Referral Service)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Frederick County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Garrett County

Harford County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Howard County(443)(###) ###-####/p>

Kent County

Montgomery County(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Prince George’s County(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Queen Anne County

Saint Mary's CountyNone, Use Charles or Calvert County

Somerset County
Mid-Shore Pro-Bono Referral Service(Anna M. Rounds)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Talbot County
(Kara Miller)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Washington CountyNone, use Allegany, Frederick, or Baltimore County

Wicomico County
(Ashley Bosche)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Worcester County
(Frank Benvenutu)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

MARYLAND VOLUNTEER LAWYERS SERVICE
(LOCAL)
(###) ###-####br />(800)(###) ###-####/p>

Sixty Plus Legal Program for seniors over 60 years old.
Most current contact numbers available on the Maryland Legal Aid website.

A lawyer here can fix all of this for you.Thanks again.

His late wife died 20 yrs ago

I understand but if he did not open probate and have this taken care of then he can still do it now.Any time someone deceases probate is necessary here to retitle the house.It is going to be a problem for him if he wants to sell, big problem for you because you would be homeless.He needs to have lawyer fix this and you should be concerned here.I want you to be protected long term and I would hope he would too.

Ray, Lawyer
But won't I inherit
I mean who else would the house/property go to, if not his current wife?
Are you still there, Ray?

You would inherit it if he puts you on the deed or wills it to you.This is a marriage breaker for you.