Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Grizzly Flats, California. The Homeowner's

I live in Grizzly...

I live in Grizzly Flats, California. The Homeowner's Association has been inactive for several years. Can the rules still be enforced?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I don't understand the question.

3/10/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If the HOA is not in good legal standing with the Secretary of State, then they have no legal authority to enforce any of the rules or CCRs of the Association.

.

But if they were to reinstate the HOA and get back to good standing, then they can enforce the CCRs and rules against any owner.

.

The rules and CCRs don't go away if they aren't enforced, they just sit there waiting on a homeowner or the HOA to enforce them..

.

.

thanks

How would I know if the HOA is in good standing with the Secretary of State?

You contact the Secretary of State and ask them... Or you can normally look on their website under a business search to see if they are in good standing... All HOAs are 501c3 non profit corporations and have to register with the Sec of State and file reports each year to remain in good standing.

Barrister, Lawyer
Thank you.