Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is it possible, in the state of Tennessee, for a home seller…

Customer Question
Is it possible, in...

Is it possible, in the state of Tennessee, for a home seller to back out of a signed contract. I am that seller and believe that I was "brow beaten" into signing a contract to sell my house as is, without fully understanding the extent of my loss, and without being provided a copy of the contract prior to the day of signing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes. I signed a contract, as seller.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/10/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
If contract is signed by both sides it normally has to be honored. Seller can cancel though if there was mistake, fraud or duress; or where parties agree to cancel.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the buyer is also a real estate agent, isn't he required by Article 4 of the code of ethics to reveal that, in writing, in advance of the contract being signed, because realtors have unfair advantage in real estate. I've been told that Standard Practice 16.14 states: Realtors are free to enter into contractual relationships or to negotiate with sellers/landlords, buyers/tenants or others who are not subject to an exclusive agreement but shall not knowingly obligate them to pay more than one commission except with their informed consent. Therefore, if I signed a contract to sell without knowing that the buyer was a realtor, and he received a commission from the agent representing me, is that a violation?
it needed to be disclosed and is a violation!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can the contract be cancelled/voided based on that violation?
Not likely sufficient to void a sale.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is a realtor required to provide all paperwork, including disclosures, closing costs, and the contract, to the seller, for the seller's review, in advance of the signing?
Absolutely. Seller would review with counsel before signing and often seller counsel handles that, not a broker.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Tina, Lawyer